Caring for our
Accolade Wines has a long-term commitment to managing our business in an environmentally responsible manner.
This commitment encompasses activities in our vineyards, our processing operations and through the logistics chain.
We recognise the accelerating risks associated with climate change, finite resources and security of supply.
By using lean and sustainable techniques and our Environmental Management System, Accolade Wines will adapt to and mitigate the current and future risks that are associated with the provision of our portfolio to customers and consumers throughout the world.
This strategy is a Board level priority, driving the allocation of resource to projects that carry appropriate business sustainability credentials, consistent with the agreed environmental objectives, annual targets and result in continual improvement.
Our commitment to environmental protection, prevention of pollution and legal compliance is integrated within both our global and local business processes.
Specifically Accolade Wines will wherever possible, seek to:
• Reduce absolute electricity, natural gas and water use and intensity.
• Prevent waste and thereafter manage it in line with the principles of the waste hierarchy.
• Work with our suppliers and customers to minimise environmental impacts associated with our activities, products and services, through a defined purchasing policy and by assessing and utilising if appropriate, technological advances or alternative materials.
• Optimise our manufacturing and warehouse activities, such that the environment is protected and resource use is reduced.
• Be pro-active in engaging with organisations, both within the global wine industry and others, in order to improve the sustainability of our activities, products & services.
The Australian Packaging Covenant
The Australian Packaging Covenant (APC) is a sustainable packaging initiative which aims to change the culture of business to design more sustainable packaging, increase recycling rates and reduce packaging litter.
Accolade Wines is a signatory to the Australian Packaging Covenant. Signatories to this program endeavour to demonstrate leadership in sustainable packaging design, share information to further recover and recycle used packaging materials across industry, and to work cooperatively across the supply chain. Accolade Wines’ Action Plan is available on this link, and to view Accolade Wines’ Annual Report please click here.
The Banrock Trust
Our commitment to the environment is most visible through our Banrock Station brand.
Banrock Station was one of the first wine brands to be established with environmental sustainability as a core part of its ethos. From its very beginnings the operation integrated environmental best practice into its vineyard operations and embraced the same approach in rehabilitating the degraded Banrock Station wetlands.
Banrock Station is now the global wine industry leader in environmental issues, with part proceeds of every sale contributing to conservation projects around the world.